Finance (Commerce, CA)
August 31, 2017
Reporting to the Group Vice President, Controller/CAO, the Tax Director is responsible for integrating tax-planning strategies into the tax compliance function, for leading and managing the tax examination/controversy function, interface with third-party tax providers, and maintaining overall responsibility for the domestic and financial statement reporting of income taxes.
The Tax Director will be responsible for statutory income tax compliance, consulting, accounting for income taxes, non-income based taxes, tax provisions, transactional taxes, interest and penalty minimization, and tax function transformation
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance; Masters of Science of Taxation or JD with LLM in Taxation preferred
• CPA certification required (active preferred)
• A combination of ten years of experience in one or both of the following:
- Progressive experience with a large corporate tax department (preferably within a public company)
- Progressive experience with a Big Four Accounting firm
• Retail Management Certificate is desirable.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Oversees the tax function with focus on tax compliance, tax provisioning, management of tax examinations and controversy process, income tax accounting and reporting, and tax planning strategy
• Completes federal, international and state income tax returns including all related analysis and support
• Supervises and reviews preparation of quarterly income tax provision and preparation of 10-K and 10-Q footnote disclosure
• Oversight of the tax returns for the Company’s international subsidiaries
• Responsible for sales, use, and property tax functions
• Builds a results-oriented tax function to ensure that tax goals are achieved through the development of professional staff; foster a collaborative, team-based work environment that provides supervision and development opportunities for professional tax staff
• Oversees development and maintenance of Tax Department policies and procedures in connection with this strategy
• Builds and maintains relationships within the Finance groups, as well as throughout the organization to help facilitate timely and accurate tax compliance reporting and execution of tax strategy
• Manages audits and examinations by the IRS and other (state, local, foreign) tax authorities and jurisdictions to ensure that examinations are successfully resolved with the best outcomes for the company. Lead the controversy process, including assessment of proposed adjustments and negotiation/settlement.
• Interfaces with and owns the relationship between the Company and 3rd party tax providers
• Identifies tax risk areas and work with other functional areas to ensure appropriate steps are taken to minimize tax risk
• Leads continuous improvement practices deployment for the Tax function. Oversees development and implementation of systems and standardized work papers (and paperless work environment) processes to efficiently compile information for federal, state, local and foreign tax compliance (and tax audits).
• Performs top level of review for certain tax returns and ensure that the tax aspects of strategies and transactions are reported and/or disclosed appropriately in tax filings
• Provides technical leadership and support for the combined and separate company income tax provisions
• Oversees and coordinates foreign tax compliance, whether via in house or outsourced service providers
• Manages inventory of ongoing tax projects / projects where Tax Department input is needed to ensure continued progress and timely completion
• Develops, manages, and maintains tax internal controls and update controls as business changes dictate
• Manages escheatment process for the Company
• Determines tax impact of business transactions and work with the Accounting function, Treasury function, and Chief Financial Officer to communicate to senior management
• Develops and maintains a thorough understanding of company transfer pricing policy and objectives and use this knowledge to develop overall tax strategy
• Maintains and expands knowledge of domestic and foreign emerging tax issues and developments affecting the company
Directly supervises one Tax Manager. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, procedures and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Candidates must possess the following skills:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience with Microsoft Suite products with an emphasis in Excel.
Fax Number: (888) 881-1365
Internal candidates must be in their current position 6 months or longer and complete an Associate Job Opportunities Application form. This form may be obtained from Human Resources by calling (323) 869-7644. Submission of an application does not guarantee an interview.
Internal Applicant: Download Application